The Scale Operator provides the assigned production shift a trained and qualified individual that is capable of efficiently coordinating the efforts of the packaging line in order to prepare steel coils for shipment per customer specifications. The position requires moderate computer proficiency as well as attention to detail, ability to read and interpret work orders and packaging directions, along with an understanding of steel coil dimensions and measurement techniques.
Relashionship to others
Works collaboratively and assists team members and other Charter Steel personnel to achieve the Company’s goals and objectives on a daily basis. Interactions should be consistent with the Company’s policies and contribute to the overall success of Charter Steel.
- Weighs coils; records weight for each coil onto the corresponding work order and enters weights into the computer system.
- Measures minimum and maximum slit coil outside and inside diameters; confirms dimensions of the coil are to customer specification.
- Determines the number of bands per coil or skid, direction of coil on the skid, number of coils per skid, skidded coil height, and correct skid size per the customer specification.
- Cleary and effectively communicates the packaging information to the Packagers, Skid Makers and Forklift Operators for each work order.
- Prints shipping tags for each work order to include production from the 18” slitter; re-tags coils as needed.
- Assists Packagers and Skid Makers with packaging of the coils to include, but not limited to, banding, wrapping, tagging and movement.
- Keeps the Supervisor informed of the packaging line status throughout the shift.
- The individual will execute their assigned duties according to their Job Description and needs of the business as directed by their leadership help chain.
- Follow all Company policies and procedures.
- Maintain a safe, clean and organized working environment; fix what is broken if necessary and make sure working areas comply with safety regulations.
- Any other duties assigned by the Production Supervisor or Plant Manager.
Experience / Education Requirements
A high school education, GED or equivalent experience or training is preferred. Suitable employees may receive on-the-job training in lieu of these requirements. Experience in trucking OR in an industrial yard environment. Basic math skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle and feel, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is primarily in a manufacturing environment. Some on site/factory work or inspection may be required. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The noise level at a site may require hearing protection. The position may have conditions that are hazardous and safety procedures must be followed.
Language / Math skill
Ability to read and write in English or Spanish. Ability to speak effectively with other employees in the organization. Ability to understand and follow safety procedures.
Over the many years that we have been members, LBRA has helped us by making us aware of local grants and assisting us through the application process, providing opportunities for employee training, and gaining access to job fairs and local resident who are seeking employment. We have also enjoyed the networking opportunities that have been provided. This has helped us establish relationships with neighboring businesses, community organizations and local leaders.George Gatto
Gatto Industrial Platers